1. What is Flipgrid?
Flipgrid is a wonderful application to enrich your lessons. Professor Charles Miller from the University of Minnesota Learning Technologies invented Flipgrid to engage students in his classroom. It was developed with the idea of giving every student a voice. Do you recognize the following students in your group? The quiet student who doesn’t say much in the group? The student who cannot explain very well at the moment, but can do this with more thinking time? Or the student who does not dare? Make use of Flipgrid!
2. How can Flipgrid make learning more personalized?
Flipgrid is a wonderful tool to allow pupils / students to reflect on the learning process with the help of short films, to discuss a specific topic or to use it as a working method.
The Flipgrid project from the University of Minnesota started with the idea of giving every student a voice. Are you afraid to indicate what the answer is in a class? A short video can be the solution, especially if you as a teacher can indicate that only the teacher can see the video! Research has also shown that you think more when you need to record something. Where reflection reports generally remain flatter, videos loosen up more in a pupil / student. You are actually experiencing what you say. Flipgrid’s mission is therefore “to amplify student voices”. Show what you have in you! A student can also use Flipgrid of his own talents or interests and show this to others.
- Within Flipgrid you can create different “grids”, this is a digital classroom. Within the grid you can post various topics. These are the assignments that students work on.
- Every grid and every topic has a unique code for direct access.
- Within the topic you describe the assignment that the students have to perform and how. You can also do this yourself as a movie.
- If the students have uploaded their video themselves, you can give feedback on various points; a quick emoji, a number from 1-5 or a textual feedback.
3. What to consider when implementing Flipgrid?
To get the best out of Flipgrid, you need multiple devices with an internet connection. This allows every teacher and student or groups of students to follow what is being placed. During the Covid-19 pandemic, Flipgrid could be a useful tool to deliver education digitally. Finally, you can access our free educator account at admin.flipgrid.com
4. Where can I get started with Flipgrid?
Have you become curious about this tool? Then I advise you to take a look at the website: https://info.flipgrid.com/